Project cost | €1800,- excluding airline tickets
More than 35 million slaves are more than 35 million too much - I am fighting against injustice!More stories...
Lebanon, a country which shares so much of its borders with Syria is the neighbouring country hardest hit by the Syrian refugee crisis. According to the UNHCR, Lebanon hosts more than 1.1 million Syrian refugees displaced due to the civil war [since 2011] and the uprising of the Islamic State [ISIS[.
Today, Lebanon is the home to the world’s largest number of refugees per capita.
Since the Syrian crisis began in 2011, hundreds of thousands of refugees have sought refuge in Lebanon. The UNHCR estimates that 75% of all refugees in Lebanon are children and women. The number of children aged between 3-14 years of age totals 417,000.
The ministry that smuggled 1 million bibles in to China in 1981 continues to support and strengthen the persecuted church around the world. In the Middle East, Open Doors is devoted to providing the necessary care and support to hundreds of thousands of displaced followers of Jesus Christ. In the last couple of years the number of local Christians living in Syria and Iraq have diminished as a result of the increased persecution faced by the uprising of ISIS. Yet, as the body of Christ suffers, Open Doors continues to provide shelter, food, clothing, bibles and training to those that most need it.
In 2017 4M is organising Muskathlon Lebanon in cooperation with Open Doors.
In committing to join the Muskathlon Lebanon team in 2017, you are standing with Open Doors and the wider body of Christ in seeking to strengthen the suffering body. Christians are the most persecuted minority in the world today. At no other point in history have Christians suffered more for being followers of Christ. Muskathlon Lebanon is your way of standing up for the imprisoned, those who suffer for following Jesus. It is your way of giving a voice to the voiceless.
Go through the extreme challenge of Muskathlon Lebanon in support of those suffering extreme persecution.
The Muskathlon is an ultimate endurance event at an extreme location, in order to raise maximum funds to fight injustice. The Lebanon Muskathlon will take place May 13-20 2017, out of Beirut, Lebanon. 4M organises this Muskathlon in partnership with Open Doors, supporting the persecuted church in the Middle East.
The story behind the Lebanon Muskathlon
It is happening right now: for the first time in two thousand years Christians in Iraq and Syria are at the brink of extermination. In the areas controlled by Islamitic State and different terrorist factions, Christians have to fear for their lives. Hundreds of thousands of Christians have fled their homes, and often their countries. During their forced flight they could take none of their belongings, except for the clothes they were wearing. Their traumatic experiences are forever edged in their memories.In Lebanon itself more than one and a half million refugees have taken shelter. They feel unwanted and deserted. During the Muskathlon we will step into their misery, to offer help, to encourage and to support the Lebanese church.
During your Muskathlon you will meet persecuted Christians and different refugees. You will speak to pastors from Syria, Christiands from Iraq and offer help in the refugee camps, together with the Lebanese church. Discover the impact of this crisis for the church in the Middle East and let them know that they are not alone in their struggle.During the program you will be exposed to the raw reality of persecution. IS violence, among others, has decimated the church and waves of refugees have flooded Lebanon. One out of every four inhabitants in Lebanon today is a refugee. Their need is rampant.
Lebanon in facts and figures
5,8 million inhabitants
1,5 million refugees
2,3 million Christians
Religion: Islam, Christianity and Druzism
The Middle East is known for its rugged terrain and heat. The track leads partly over dirt roads through the mountainous area and partly over main roads.
The weekprogram will look like the following (adjustments can be made)
Monday: arrival, teammeeting, inspirational session
Tuesday: first training, visit of a refugee camp, meeting with persecuted Christians, inspirational session
Wednesday: funday full of sports and adventure for children from refugee camps, training, inspirational session
Thursday: day of rest and travel to start, inspirational session
Friday: Muskathlon-Event and celebration
Saturday: closing inspirational session and departure
The costs of the Lebanon Muskathlon are 1.800 euro, not including airfare to and from Beirut, Lebanon.
This fee includes:
- Info-sessions (in Norway, Germany, UK and the Netherlands)
- Coaching in raising funds and training for your Muskathlon
- Hotelaccomodations, logistics and food during the Muskathlon-week
- Inspirational sessions for personal development
- Exposure to the work of Open Doors
- Medical care during the week
- Muskathlonshirt or -jersey
- Food and drinks during the Muskathlon-Event
- Medical care and coaching for the Event
- Your Muskathlon-adventure starts Saturday, May 13, at Beirut airport
- Your Muskathlon-adventure ends Saturday, May 20, 2 pm at Beirut airport
- You need to book your own flight to and from Beirut, making sure you are on time for the start of the week. It is not possible to leave early. The first flight out of Beirut can be booked from 5 pm, May 20th.
- If by some reason out of the sphere of influence of 4M the airlines do not offer tickets at the given dates for the majority of the group, the dates and/or times of the Muskathlon can be changed by one day.
- This Muskathlon is open for men and women.
- At this Muskathlon you can participate in running (21, 42 or 63 km), walking (63 km) or cycling (120 km).
- Costs for transportation of your bike are not included in the Muskathlon-fee.
- The Muskathlon-program will be held in Dutch and English.
- Every Muskathlete commits to raise 10.000 euros for the work of Open Doors.
- When you register you receive a personal profile at www.muskathlon.com, you can raise your funds through the website.
- At registration you pay 100 euros.
- 6% of all funds raised is used to cover operational costs for the Muskathlon.