Project cost | €1250,- excluding airline tickets
More than 35 million slaves are more than 35 million too much - I am fighting against injustice!More stories...
Run, mountainbike, walk or race to discover the country of the 1000 hills and eradicate children from poverty. Join us in the fight for justice!
The Muskathlon is an ultimate endurance event at an extreme location, in order to raise maximum funds to fight injustice. The Rwanda Muskathlon will take place May 12-19 2017, out of Kigali, Rwanda. 4M organises this Muskathlon in partnership with Compassion, liberating children out of poverty, in Jesus’ name.
The story behind the Rwanda Muskathlon
In 1994 Hutu militia murdered an estimated 800.000 fellow Rwandese citizens from the Tutsi tribe, within 100 days. The murdering was done by machete or different brutal ways of killing. It was in Rwanda 1994 that killing your neighbor became an art.
The reigning president, Paul Kagama, liberated the country from the endless killing, by leading his Tutsi army to gain power of the country. Since 1994 Kagame has been ruling the country and many projects on reconciliation have taken place, leading the country to a place of relative rest. But still trauma and scars are everywhere. Compassion focuses on leading new generations of children to be able to lead their country to a future of peace, brotherhood and prosperity.
Taking part in the Rwanda Muskathlon will offer you a unique glimpse into one of the main tragedies of our current generation, as well as show you the unique ways in which the people of God, through his grace can lead a country into a new direction.
Rwanda is called the country of a 1.000 hills. The track leads partly over dirt roads through the mountainous terrain and partly over main roads.
During the Muskathlon-week you will be exposed to the raw reality of extreme poverty and the still exisiting scars and trauma of the Rwanda genocide. As always, children are the first and foremost victims when poverty is at hand. Compassion does a wonderful job in liberating children out of poverty, in Jesus’ name. When children receive education, health care and nutricious food, their chances for breaking the poverty cycle increase dramatically. Apart from that they learn about Jesus Christ. Many children are being saved through the work of Compassion.
The weekprogram will look like the following (adjustments can be made)
- Friday: arrival, teammeeting, inspirational session
- Saturday: visit the genocide museum, visit Compassion project, first training
- Sunday: visit local church and slum, visit Compassion project, local testimonies, teamtime
- Monday: visit Compassion project, inspirational session, teamtime, training
- Tuesday: funday full of sports and adventure with local children, training session, inspirational session, teamtime
- Wednesday: rest and preparation for Muskathlon, teamtime
- Thursday: Muskathlon-Event and celebration
- Friday: closing inspirational session and departure
The costs of the Rwanda Muskathlon are 1.250 euro, not including airfare to and from Kigali, Rwanda
This fee includes:
- Info sessions (in Norway, Germany, UK, Suisse, Belgium and the Netherlands)
- Coaching in raising funds and training for your Muskathlon
- Hotel accommodations, logistics and food during the Muskathlon-week
- Inspirational sessions for personal development
- Exposure to the work of Compassion
- Cultural visits during the Muskathlon-week
- Medical care during the week
- Training sessions
- Muskathlonshirt or -jersey
- Food and drinks during the Muskathlon-Event
- Medical care and coaching for the Event
The Muskathlon-fee does not include:
- Meeting your personal sponsorchild by Compassion. This is to be arranged through Compassion.
- Transportation of your bike to and from Rwanda
- Visa costs
-Your Muskathlon-adventure starts Friday, May 12, 8 pm at Kigali airport.
- Your Muskathlon-adventure ends Friday, May 19, 5 pm at Kigali airport.
- You need to book your own flight to and from Kigali, Rwanda, making sure you are on time for the start of the week. It is not possible to leave early. The first flight out of Kigali can be booked from 8 pm, May 19th.
- If by some reason out of the sphere of influence of 4M the airlines do not offer tickets at the given dates for the majority of the group, the dates and/or times of the Muskathlon can be changed by one day.
- This Muskathlon is open for men and women.
- At this Muskathlon you can participate in running (21, 42 or 60 km), cycling (120 km) or walking (60 km).
- Also, this Muskathlon offers the unique opportunity to racebike 4 consequtive days, some 400 km. Rwanda is known as the racebike-country of Africa. The racebike version follows a different program: Monday through Thursday you will be biking some 100 km per day through Rwanda, visiting Compassion projects along the way. At the Muskathlon Event you will unite with the rest of the Muskathletes. The racebike version will only take place when there are a minimum of 25 sign ups.
- The Muskathlon-program will be held in Dutch, German and English.
- Every Muskathlete commits to raise 10.000 euros for the work of Compassion.
Every childsponsor that is found, counts for 1.000 euros at your personal fundraisemeter.
- When you register you receive a personal profile at www.muskathlon.com, you can raise your funds through the website.
- At registration you pay 100 euros.
- 6% of all funds raised is used to cover operational costs for the Muskathlon